Hi im in seattle area i start working one local pizza place about 9 days ago and worked like more than 30 hours

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Employment Class action

i was doing that pizza delivery with my own car . today i went to meet with him about my pay check he told i was on training so i wont paid get paid. what is law about 9 days free training i think its illegal .. but i dun know how can i handle it pls help

Yes, that would be illegal. An employer owes wages for all time worked, even time spent "training," where the employer directs that training. It sounds to me like you have a wage claim, but whether and how it is worth pursuing are strategic questions that you can decide after consulting with an attorney.

I agree with attorney Thal's answer. You should also consider contacting the Department of Labor & Industries, which is free. They are available on the web at www.lni.wa.gov, then click on "workplace rights" and follow the links to file a complaint or contact a representative. They may be able to investigate and pursue the matter on your behalf at no cost to you. Good luck.

This does not constitute legal advice. You should consult an attorney who can assess the facts of your case and discuss your legal rights and obligations.

Both prior answers are excellent. L&I would likely open your file in this matter and would pressure to get you the exact amount owed and that would exclude any potential of double recovery. If you tried to bring this matter to small claims to recover you would also be cutting off any right to recover attorney fees. Wage claims are an interesting area of the law where our legislature has actually given private lawyers the ability to obtain their attorney fees from the employer when the circumstances are correct. Therefore it is my own opinion that your first stop should be a visit to an attorney who indicates they do wage claims for a discussion about whether or not there is any reason for that attorney to get involved.

You have a right to be paid wages for training time. Additionally, if it is the practice of your employer not to pay wages for work time, it might be the subject of a wage and hour class action lawsuit.

Recommended articles about Employment