Hi i recently discovered all my belongings are moldy and mildewy in my dry storage unit of 8 yrs. the owners tore the roof off

Ketchikan, AK |
Filed under: Tenant rights

and left whole inside of building exposed with rain running throughout the building and under my door into my unit, they did this without even notifying me that this could happen if they tear the roof off. i spent a day going thru my things to see what i could salvage. everything smells so bad it cannot be in the house anywhere or you can smell it. plus after few hours in the facility i became so ill i was vomitting and bedridden for 24 hrs after that. ive paid them over $10,000 in the past 8 years, all for nothing now. what can i do if anything?

1. File an insurance claim with your homeowners or renters insurance.
2. File a claim with the storage rental insurance policy that you purchased when you rented the space.
3. File a claim against the storage company itself.

You should probably hire counsel for step three. You may want to consult counsel for the first two steps.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need employ us to perform the due diligence necessary to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the issue spotting, solution proposals, style of communication and analysis I may apply to factual statements.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant