Hi i recently discovered all my belongings are moldy and mildewy in my dry storage unit of 8 yrs. the owners tore the roof off

and left whole inside of building exposed with rain running throughout the building and under my door into my unit, they did this without even notifying me that this could happen if they tear the roof off. i spent a day going thru my things to see what i could salvage. everything smells so bad it cannot be in the house anywhere or you can smell it. plus after few hours in the facility i became so ill i was vomitting and bedridden for 24 hrs after that. ive paid them over $10,000 in the past 8 years, all for nothing now. what can i do if anything?

Ketchikan, AK -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (1)

Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Clayton Harold Walker Jr.

Real Estate Attorney - Anchorage, AK

1. File an insurance claim with your homeowners or renters insurance.
2. File a claim with the storage rental insurance policy that you purchased when you rented the space.
3. File a claim against the storage company itself.

You should probably hire counsel for step three. You may want to consult counsel for the first two steps.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion... more

Related Topics

Tenant rights

Tenant rights vary by state, but in general, you have the right to safe and habitable housing, privacy, and to not be discriminated against, among other things.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.