Hi,I received Green Card interview letter today and the date is March 9th 2014. However I have a preplanned trip to china.

Kearny, NJ |

I called USCIS and they gave me a service request number and said that within 30 days a decision will be made for rescheduling of interview. I went to local USCIS office just to have a peace of mind. The window where they issue the ticket the officer told me that If i do not appear for interview I will abandon my application as it clearly states on the interview letter that "Failure to appear for this interview and/or failure to bring the below listed items will result in denial" also at the bottom it says underline "You must appear for this interview". I asked the officer if I could talk to someone. He gave me a ticket number and I talked to a diffe a different agent. The agent told me to send a certified letter . I am confused by two different answers from different officer

1. You should retain an attorney to assist you at this point.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Helpful" or "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

2. USCIS's multiple explanations and answers is one of the best reasons you should be working with a lawyer. The interview can be postponed. There is a process to follow to get that done. Problems regularly occur and you are going to struggle greatly without a lawyer.

3. Traveling outside the country while you have a pending I-485 could constitute abandonment of your application for adjustment of status. You should have consulted with an attorney before scheduling this trip. Moreover, you should not seek to get legal advice from the USCIS customer service officers, as they are not attorneys and are not authorized to dispense legal advice. I agree with my colleague; you need to hire an immigration attorney immediately, before you make any further mistakes that jeopardize your green card application.

Answers provided by Ksenia Maiorova, Esq. on Avvo.com are of a general nature and do not constitute legal advice.