Skip to main content

Hi I am wondering about what would happen/ Crime of the 4th degree in New Jersey

Spokane, WA |

I have a friend who has an ex. He is extremely violent, and has harmed her physically on more than one occasion. She has pressed charges, he gets time, and he gets out, he waits a while, and he does it again. She has a child with him. She is more than terrified he will find her when she is alone, and will potentially take her life. I want to help her protect herself. Looking online, I found some things I want to purchase for her, a tazer that looks like a cell phone and has a locking mechanism so it will not go off by accident, a book abt defense for women, and a 3 in 1 strobe light pepper spray loud noise emitter. Tazers are illegal in her state. It is a crime of the 4th degree. If he tried to kill her, and she used the tazer, what happens? Is it worth saving her life for the punishment?

If not a tazer, what do you recommend? I know he has walked through restraining orders before, he doesn't seem to care about punishments, he verbally abuses his child, it is really bad. He does not live in the home, but he is allowed phone calls to his daughter, and has reduced her to sobbing while yelling at her and telling her he hates her. It's really bad. Thank you for any help.

Attorney Answers 1


Here are two links to help her:

New Jersey Victim Advocates by county:

New Jersey Coalition for Battered Women:

She needs help to get out of the relationship and out of the cycle of domestic violence. | The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Florida. Responses are based solely on Florida law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

Violent crime topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics