Hi how do i protect my home ownership from my livein boyfriend since it was paid for only by me 8 years prior to him in Fl.

Asked about 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

Appreciate your advice since i am now concerned about his agenda.

1. Marshall C Deason Jr.

Pro

Answered . Just because your boyfriend lives with you and pays a share of the bills, it does not give him any ownership rights in your real estate. However, if you deeded an interest in the property to your boyfriend while he was living with you, you probably will not be able to take it back. When an unmarried couple owns a home together, it causes many legal problems. If you are unsure of your legal rights, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

2. Carol Anne Johnson

Answered . As Attorney Deason mentioned, you should be fine so long as the live-in is not on title to the property. Florida does not recognize common-law marriages, so when/if you two split he has no ownership right to the property by virtue of having lived there with you for 8 years. Good luck!