Hi how do i protect my home ownership from my livein boyfriend since it was paid for only by me 8 years prior to him in Fl.

Asked about 2 years ago - Hollywood, FL

Appreciate your advice since i am now concerned about his agenda.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Marshall C Deason Jr.


    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . Just because your boyfriend lives with you and pays a share of the bills, it does not give him any ownership rights in your real estate. However, if you deeded an interest in the property to your boyfriend while he was living with you, you probably will not be able to take it back. When an unmarried couple owns a home together, it causes many legal problems. If you are unsure of your legal rights, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

    Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does... more
  2. Carol Anne Johnson

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . As Attorney Deason mentioned, you should be fine so long as the live-in is not on title to the property. Florida does not recognize common-law marriages, so when/if you two split he has no ownership right to the property by virtue of having lived there with you for 8 years. Good luck!

    Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,728 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,728 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering