Hi how do i protect my home ownership from my livein boyfriend since it was paid for only by me 8 years prior to him in Fl.

Hollywood, FL |

Appreciate your advice since i am now concerned about his agenda.

1. Just because your boyfriend lives with you and pays a share of the bills, it does not give him any ownership rights in your real estate. However, if you deeded an interest in the property to your boyfriend while he was living with you, you probably will not be able to take it back. When an unmarried couple owns a home together, it causes many legal problems. If you are unsure of your legal rights, you should consult an experienced real estate lawyer in your area.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.

2. As Attorney Deason mentioned, you should be fine so long as the live-in is not on title to the property. Florida does not recognize common-law marriages, so when/if you two split he has no ownership right to the property by virtue of having lived there with you for 8 years. Good luck!

Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact an attorney for legal advice concerning your matter.