Hi all! I'm a perm-t resident of the US (asylum). Passport is expired.Can I go to & FROM Mexico back using Green cart ONLY?

Daly City, CA |

I am applying for refuge travel document today but the instructions say it is gonna take me at least 3 month to get the passport. I was stupid enough to forget checking my passport out before booking our trip for me and my mom who is coming to visit me. So I bought the trip which starts in 2,5 months.
Based on USCIS Fact sheet (link below) I concluded I need this doc but I have heard there is a special agreement between USA and Mexico regarding traveling to and back from Mexico which allows perm-t resident use a Green Cart only!

http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/New%20Structure/Press%20Releases/2009%20Press%20Releases/Oct%202009/AdvParoleFact%20ShtOct2009Final.pdf

The major question: CAN I RE-ENTRY THE US USING MY GREEN CART ONLY? I have read a lot of conflicting opinions. Please help!

1. You can apply for a refugee travel document.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

2. You need to have a valid passport, or a valid refugee travel document in order to travel internationally. You may try to ask to expedite your request if at all possible.

Contact immigration lawyer Gintare Grigaite, Esq. of Grigaite & Abdelsayed, LLC at 201-471-7989, located in New York and New Jersey, for a consultation about your immigration case. Answers on AVVO do not constitute legal advice and do not form attorney-client relationship. Always consult an attorney for a legal advice.

3. You need to be in possession of a Refuge Travel Document in order to be readmitted.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.