Hi, will my application for the derivative asylum be canceled if I divorce my husband prior to the interview for the asylum?

Asked over 1 year ago - Highland Park, IL

We have been in the process for asylum for 16 months now, with some delays from my husband we are still waiting for the interview date and we were denied the work authorization. If I get divorced now will I still be in the removing proceedings if he doesn't pass the interview? Will I be eligible for nunc pro tunc asylum if he passes the interview?

1. Gintare Grigaite

1

Answered . "Will my application for the derivative asylum be canceled if I divorce my husband prior to the interview for the asylum?" Yes.

2. Cynthia Beth Rosenberg

1

Answered . yes your asylum will no longer ride on his. You may have to refile on your own i fyou also have an asylum claim.

3. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Yes, you will no longer be a derivative because of the divorce.