Skip to main content

Hi. There is an anonymous person harassing me, by phone, text, and now email.

Indianapolis, IN |

this anonymous person hacked into my boyfriend email copied all our personal pictures and video then sent me an email as if he was him, calling me names. then, "he" this anonymous person, forwared them all to my boyfriend separated and ex-wife to be. now she is threatning to post all those pictures and videos online. This anonimous person has been diffcult to trace. I am not sure what I should do, I feel very helpless and affraid of having my boyfriend's and my reputation ruined. any suggestions are welcome. Please help.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Internet harassment is a common problem, and the law has not caught up with the technology in many states. From a legal standpoint, your option is to file a "Doe" lawsuit against an anonymous defendant, and start issuing subpoenas to various internet service providers and email providers, in an effort to track down and identify the proper defendant. There are companies that focus on tracking down internet users by IP address, so you may need to engage the services of an online investigator like that. If any of the statements posted about you are factually untrue, and/or if you own the copyright to the images in question, you may be able to base your lawsuit on defamation or copyright infringement. A lawyer can help you evaluate your options and decide on a course of action.

    Disclaimer: The foregoing does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney/client relationship. Please contact an attorney for formal legal advice on any specific matter.

  2. This action is criminal. Filing a police report may help if the person can be found. Otherwise, change all passwords and hope that the information that you stored isn't damaging. You may be able to get a subpoena for the identity of the person based on the criminal nature. See a local attorney immediately. If the information is not damaging, then you may want to ignore it.

    Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

  3. The break in and claiming to be your boyfriend are both crimes, serious crimes. Start with a police report, as recommended, and see if the police are able to identify the stalker. Actual hacking is pretty difficult. Think through where the old password may have been left. Run a virus scan on your computer(s) to look for malware.

    We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

Civil rights topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics