Skip to main content

Hi, should I pay tax in the US for the interest earned through a savings account in India? I am on H1B and a resident alien.

South Plainfield, NJ |

The amount in the saving account was the income earned by me, when I was working in India. Also, should I declare that account through FBARS? I did not have to pay tax for that interest earned in India, as that amount was below the income tax exemption limit in India.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You are either a resident alien or on an h1b. You cannot be both. Either way, this is a question for a CPA or tax attorney.

  2. Probably better to ask a tax attorney or accountant.

  3. This is not an immigration question. Check with a tax attorney

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics