Hi, please tell me if it is ok that I am recieving child support & alimony while my spouse is living in the same house with me

Asked almost 2 years ago - Stafford, VA

We are seperated but once I lifted the PO he came back & living in the spare bedroom, but harrasing me about the payments he is making. Also he doesnt pay for anything even a penny more, water, electeric, children ( including any gifts for any occassion), Utilities, extra, even I pay for his clothing, shoes..... from the amount he is paying... he says I am a criminal for collecting that but court associate told me that I don't need to report it. I have though to the child support agency over 2 months ago & haven't heard anything back. Thank you & God bless.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. H. Eugene Oliver III


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Technically, he shouldn't be paying support/alimony if he is living with you; however, it is his duty to file the appropriate paperwork to have the support modified. If DCSE finds out, they will take steps to have the support ended since you're not entitled to it. You won't get in trouble per se, but you won't continue to receive child support once it's found out and a new order is entered.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,601 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,601 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering