Hi, please help

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

So, my husband and I got married slightly over a year ago, filed for the green card, and received a conditional green card few months ago. Now, after all the problems we had and another woman being involved, he wants to divorce me, on top of that he's threatening me to "make sure that i will not get my papers through this marriage." Can he really hurt my situation in any way? And also, from immigration point of view, s should I sign the divorce papers when I receive them in the mail?

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

14

Answered . A divorce will not stop you from getting a ten-year green card as long as you can demonstrate that you entered into the marriage in good faith.

2. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

4

Answered . You should consult with a divorce lawyer to negotiate a reasonable settlement which may assist yiur immigration case. You should also retain an immigration lawyer to assist your divorce lawyer.

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . I would side with Attorney Behar on that. I think his answer is accurate and to the point. I do believe that a consultation with an immigration attorney, would be very beneficial to you.

4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . No! Your soon to be ex-husband CANNOT "hurt" your green card (and later citizenship) "situation" in any way, shape or form. Just sign the divorce papers when you receive them, but make sure you have a divorce attorney represent you thorough the divorce, to claim and safeguard your rights. Make sure to also immediately schedule a consultation and hopefully retain a LOCAL immigration lawyer, so he/she can explain to you the process of self-petitioning for the "removal" of the "conditions" on your temporary green card by invoking one or more of the various exceptions that exist to the joint filing requirements.

Don't worry! You'll be OK. Just make sure to have both a divorce and an immigration lawyer at your side.

5. Madhu Kalra

Pro

4

Answered . I agree with my colleagues, if you can prove your marriage was entered into in good faith, condition from the green card should be removed without any difficulty. You should consult with a divorce attorney and also retain your self an immigration attorney, to help you resolve these issues.

6. Carolina Martin Ramos

3

Answered . Hire an immigration attorney who can help you to move to have the conditions removed without the support of your husband.

7. Charles Richard Conroy

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, you can sign the divorce papers. Your husband cannot hurt you as long as you can show that you entered the marriage in good faith. You can file to remove conditions without his help. Another option might be looking at whether you can do a self-petition as the battered spouse of a U.S. citizen. Depending on your particular situation, each option has its plus and minuses. I recommend you consult with an immigration attorney.

Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

• 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now