Hi, my tenant is a practicing attorney. Can I report her to her firm as she had not pay rent for 2.5 months and Bar ass.

Emporia, KS |

The rental property is in Chicago.. I had this tenant for 3 years. She is renting with 30 days termination provision right now

Of course, more facts would be needed to thoroughly answer this question. So this is intended as general information and not legal advice. I might start by asking why you would want to report her to her employer or to the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (if she is an attorney in Illinois) or of some other state(s) if she is licensed there rather than begin eviction proceedings. I would speak to an attorney before reporting her to her employer for sure (as you do not want to her to sue for something like tortious interference with her employment). As for reporting to a disciplinary commission (like the ARDC), it does not sound like your disagreement concerns her services as an attorney so that seems an odd place to go as well in this instance. I suggest you ignore the fact that she is a lawyer and treat her like any other tenant. If she does not pay as required under the lease, then you should be able to evict her pursuant to the lease and the law and if you need assistance, a good landlord-tenant attorney should be able to help! Good luck!

The above is offered and intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. You should consult directly with an attorney in the jurisdiction in which you reside for individual advice regarding your individual situation. Nothing contained herein is intended to be nor should it be construed as advertising attorney services.

Thank you very much. She will be moving ( I am afraid without paying ) next month. How I can collect money after she is gone if she would leave a forward address. Please advise.

Charles Harry Gardner

Charles Harry Gardner

Unfortunately, I would say you will need to go to court and obtain a judgment against her for the rent owed. You may be able to do this in small claims or you may want to consult a landlord-tenant attorney... you will want to have all your documents and facts in order which is why having an attorney is a good idea if you can afford it. If you cannot, you might want to see if you qualify for any local legal aid programs. Good luck to you!

While you can report the attorney to her firm or the disciplinary board - what does that get you?
If want to evict her, then file a landlord tenant action.

If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. This answer is for general education purposes only. It neither creates an attorney-client relationship nor provides legal guidance or advice. The answer is based on the limited information provided and the answer might be different had additional information been provided. You should consult an attorney.