Skip to main content

Hi, My neighbor's dogs broke into my yard and attacked my dog. They did receive a citation but I want them to pay me for damages

Mcallen, TX |

Animal control was able to give them a citation because a separate neighbor witnessed the attack...
We have several police reports of their animals being loose and breaking into our yard. They also threatened us in front of the animal warden. They have to go to court this month, but Do I still need to open a case on my own or will that judge award me what they owe me. I did call the court house and they said they don't handle threats, so would that be a separate case as well?

The home owner claimed to be the dog owner in one of the reports, but when they received the citation the daughter listed herself as the owner. The homeowner's wife was the one ho threatened us.
The animal warden, our dog's veterinarian, and the witness have offered their written statements.

sorry if it's not clear

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Normally, a citation is comparable to a traffic ticket. You will need to file your own claim to get compensation for the veterinary bills. You can try sending them a demand letter by certified mail and asking them to turn it over to their homeowner's insurance. If that is unsuccessful, file a claim in small claims court. If they continue to threaten you, you may need to file for an anti-harassment order. You may want to consult a local attorney about this. I suggest that you get a copy of all of the records - animal control report and police report to help you in your own claim. If you wait until after the citation is paid or a finding of guilty in the citation hearing, you will have a stronger argument.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.


I agree with my colleague. Send the neighbor a letter, with delivery confirmation, and ask for payment of the vet bills within X days (include copies of the bills). If they do not pay within that time period then file a claim in small claims court.

As for the threats, speak with the police. You may also want to talk to an attorney regarding your options. Your local and state bar associations can give you a referral.

I hope your dog will be okay.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.

Real estate topics

Recommended articles about Real estate

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer