Skip to main content

Hi, my Green Card is expiring in about 3 months. Can I just apply for Naturalization so I won't have to renew my greencard?

Banning, CA |

I think I'm qualified now for naturalization. So I really want to apply for US citizenship as soon as possible.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Best answer

    You can, if you're eligible. You can file 4 years 9 month after obtaining LPR status - but if you obtained your LPR status through a marriage (and you are still married to the same person), you need only wait 2 years and 9 months. In all likelihood you won't have your application processed before your green card expires, though.

    This general advice does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  2. Yes, if you have held it for 5 years or 3 years if married to USC.

    Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

  3. Yes, if you are otherwise eligible to apply for naturalization.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics