Hi, my car was illegally towed from the street behind my apartment. Can I sue the tow company and the city?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

The new sign that was apparently built last week had NO information about the tow company, which violates State law. They also only put ONE"no parking without permit" sign at each end of the street even though the other side of the apartment has MANY "no parking" signs on the street. Also, neither the house tenants on the street or the apartment managers were notified of these signs that suddenly popped up, and in fact, a guy had his own car towed from his own backyard last week. AND on top of that, the new sign has its arrows pointing RIGHT AT THE visitor parking area instead of the street, further confusing me. The visitor parking lot of the apartment they are pointing at actually has a big "tow away one" sign with the tow company name and number.

1. William G Blair

Answered . There may be important facts not included in your request. For openers, is this a private or a public street? The laws are different for each. Was the car towed by a municipal agency or agent or by a private tow company enforcing private "no parking" laws? Even if the tow would be unlawful because of non-conformity with applicable statutes regarding notice and signage, your target may not be the city if the tow company was enforcing a private parking restriction.

If you want to pursue this matter rather than just pay the towing and impound fees to get your car back, you will need to consult with an attorney in your area to be sure of your legal grounds based on the relevant facts.