Hi, im 16 and found out that I am about 3-4 months pregnant and my the father of my baby is living in Wisconsin. my question is

That if I live in Colorado and he lives in Wisconsin can I legally get empancipated?

Ault, CO -

Attorney Answers (3)

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Greenwood Village, CO

Just because you are pregnant and having a baby does not make you emancipated in CO. In fact, as a former judge, most judges will tell you that you need your family now more than ever and would definitely be inclined not to grant you emancipation.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not considered to... more
Daniel Nelson Deasy

Daniel Nelson Deasy

Family Law Attorney - Centennial, CO

You can try to become emancipated but it will take a court filing and most likely, permission from your parents short of very specific negative circumstances in your life.

Why don't you ask your folks for help instead of turning away?

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
Sean Patrick Lewis

Sean Patrick Lewis

Family Law Attorney - Fresno, CA

Have you talked this over with mom and dad?

As to your question:

When is a child, if the child is, emancipated in Colorado?

In Colorado, a child is emancipated if he or she is at least 16 years old, is married or in the military, or is living independently of her parents and is self-supporting. There is no formal procedure available in Colorado to get a court order establishing that a child is emancipated. Rather, emancipation is a status that a person finds him or herself in.


The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.