Hi, im 16 and found out that I am about 3-4 months pregnant and my the father of my baby is living in Wisconsin. my question is

Asked 9 months ago - Ault, CO

That if I live in Colorado and he lives in Wisconsin can I legally get empancipated?

1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

Pro

4

Answered . Just because you are pregnant and having a baby does not make you emancipated in CO. In fact, as a former judge, most judges will tell you that you need your family now more than ever and would definitely be inclined not to grant you emancipation.

2. Daniel Nelson Deasy

4

Answered . You can try to become emancipated but it will take a court filing and most likely, permission from your parents short of very specific negative circumstances in your life.

Why don't you ask your folks for help instead of turning away?

3. Sean Patrick Lewis

3

Answered . Have you talked this over with mom and dad?

As to your question:

When is a child, if the child is, emancipated in Colorado?

In Colorado, a child is emancipated if he or she is at least 16 years old, is married or in the military, or is living independently of her parents and is self-supporting. There is no formal procedure available in Colorado to get a court order establishing that a child is emancipated. Rather, emancipation is a status that a person finds him or herself in.

source:
    http://www.coloradolegalservices.org/lawhelp/re...