Hi, I would like to know if I can get child support for my daughter? My daughter is US citizen.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Memphis, TN

Since my daughter was born my husband did not gave any money and sent us out of house. We do not know where he lives and when I came out I took the money from joint account. I was primary account holder and all that was my earning. He already took more than 50% of my salary amount. but never gave his. He do not want to see us. Please advice what can I do to get child support. I am working. Me and My husband are here in USA on work visa. He got his EAD but did not include me. Please advice

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Howard M Lewis


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . I am sorry you are going through this. The quick answer is that your status does not effect Father's responsibility to pay child support. You do have a lot of issues going on though. Is there any court involvement yet? I suggest you contact a local divorce attorney to discuss your options. I would do so quickly, you daughter's best interest is paramount. Best of luck to you.

    Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to... more
  2. Anthony Rao

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Your question is too vague to provide any sort of specifics. I would strong recommend retaining an experienced child support attorney in your local area to provide you with legal advice.

    I wish you luck!

    Anthony Rao

Related Topics

Child Custody

Child custody involves decisions about who will be responsible for a child, including parental rights, for both married and unmarried parents, and adoptions.

Nondischargeable debt and child support

Child support is a nondischargeable debt in bankruptcy. Back child support will remain even after bankruptcy, regardless of the chapter.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,454 answers this week

3,214 attorneys answering