Skip to main content

Hi, I would like to know if I can file bankruptcy if I'm indigent?

Dale, TX |

I have been out of work for over 2 years and want to know If I can file bankruptcy if I'm indigent? I'm about to loose my car and very desperate. Can you help?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Of course you can file if you're indigent. You can ask the court to waive your filing fee. Call the Texas State Bar Association and find out if there are any attorneys offering pro bono (free) legal assistance in your area. If you don't have any luck , it is possible to fill out the forms yourself. The forms are available online at your state's Federal Bankruptcy court website. Good luck.


The first step would be to go see a bankruptcy lawyer to discuss your situation, maybe payment arraignments can be made. If not you can do it your self and get the fees waived, Nolo press has a good book on doing bankruptcy yourself if that is the route you decide to take.

For more information, visit or checkout my legal guides regarding this topic posted on my AVVO profile.

Legal Information is Not Legal Advice
My answer provides information about the law based on the limited information provided in the questions asked and is not intended to be legal advice. The law differs in each jurisdiction and may be interpreted or applied differently depending on the location or situation. I highly recommend that you consult with an attorney to discuss the specific details of your situation so you can get legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances. The information in my answer is for educational and information purposes only, and is not legal advice or legal opinions. The answer provided to the question asked does not constitute a lawyer-client relationship.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer