Hi, I would like to ask you. If I want to divorce. I must have a lawer? Or can I fill the form myself?

Asked over 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

Which documents should I include for divorce?

1. Rory M. Alarcon

5

Best Answer

Answered . Follow Mr. Rothstein's link, but you will likely find the forms to be messy and possibly overwhelming.

Just as I can fix a problem in my home/apartment, it may be better for me to pay someone to do it. There are numerous factors that must be considered before you can even determine if going it alone is worth the risk: marital assets, the amount of debt and whose name it is in, physical property, spousal maintenance, child support, your financial circumstances, your spouse's finances, tax consequences, living arrangements and more.

You should at least consult a lawyer first.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

6

Answered . You are not required to have a lawyer but it is always best to have a lawyer if you can.
    Is this an uncontest divorce? Are their kids? Are there assets to split up?
    If its uncontested you can look at the court web site and forms. Even the court web site recommends you get a lawyer.

http://www.nycourts.gov/divorce/forms.shtml

3. Hayley R. Greenberg

3

Answered . I am sorry to hear about your situation.

You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. But, you can file by yourself and fill out all the forms (there's many) and the court used to have a self help packet so you can go there & see. Or, it might be available online.

I wish you the best of luck.

Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

Hayley Greenberg

Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
    91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

2

Answered . You can represent yourself legally in any case that you want to, but it may not be a good idea. You can go to the court website and fill out the paperwork and file it yourself. You will need to pay the court filing fees. If you mess up, then you will waste your money and a lot of time. Uncontested do roves are simple for experienced lawyers to complete. My secretary normally complete the paperwork on our program in under two minutes. It is a good program that we have used for over 28 years. My office is open Monday through Friday and on Saturdays.