Skip to main content

Hi, I would like to ask you. If I want to divorce. I must have a lawer? Or can I fill the form myself?

Brooklyn, NY |
Filed under: Divorce

Which documents should I include for divorce?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Best answer

    Follow Mr. Rothstein's link, but you will likely find the forms to be messy and possibly overwhelming.

    Just as I can fix a problem in my home/apartment, it may be better for me to pay someone to do it. There are numerous factors that must be considered before you can even determine if going it alone is worth the risk: marital assets, the amount of debt and whose name it is in, physical property, spousal maintenance, child support, your financial circumstances, your spouse's finances, tax consequences, living arrangements and more.

    You should at least consult a lawyer first.

    Rory Alarcon, Esq., is a New York attorney practicing the areas of Family Law, Matrimonial Law, Foreclosure Defense, Consumer Defense and other areas of general practice primarily in Suffolk & Nassau County. His office, Alarcon Law Firm, practices only in New York State and offers the best attorney rates in the Long Island area. His office may be reached at (631) 867-2348.

  2. I am sorry to hear about your situation.

    You should contact an attorney to discuss your questions as additional information would be helpful. But, you can file by yourself and fill out all the forms (there's many) and the court used to have a self help packet so you can go there & see. Or, it might be available online.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Please remember that I do not normally monitor these questions after I have posted a reply.

    Free phone consultation Monday — Thursday 1-5 pm.

    Hayley Greenberg

    Greenberg & Merola, LLP, Attorneys at Law
    91 N. Franklin Street, Suite 211, Hempstead, NY 11550, (516) 887-1975

    521 5th Ave. Ste. 1700, New York, NY 10175, (212) 593-6111

    Additional Offices: Queens & Brooklyn

  3. You are not required to have a lawyer but it is always best to have a lawyer if you can.
    Is this an uncontest divorce? Are their kids? Are there assets to split up?
    If its uncontested you can look at the court web site and forms. Even the court web site recommends you get a lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

  4. You can represent yourself legally in any case that you want to, but it may not be a good idea. You can go to the court website and fill out the paperwork and file it yourself. You will need to pay the court filing fees. If you mess up, then you will waste your money and a lot of time. Uncontested do roves are simple for experienced lawyers to complete. My secretary normally complete the paperwork on our program in under two minutes. It is a good program that we have used for over 28 years. My office is open Monday through Friday and on Saturdays.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics