Hi, I am in need of a Pro Bono Attorney

Laguna Beach, CA |

I am in need of a Pro Bono Attorney. I am currently located in Orange County Ca, but the issue that I am having began in Kansas City. I need a criminal atty. I am assuming criminal, but I may be jumping the gun a bit. I have been told by a friend that the FBI stopped by their house asking questions about me.. I dont think its going to be a really big case, but I need to be proactive, they treat you different when you have counsel. I cant afford to be detained, so I need someone who can help a bit. Is there anyway that you can help me, I am a single parent and really need help now, before it gets out of hand. I have some money coming, but it might not be for a couple months. Can anyone help me?

1. It doubtful that you will find a good lawyer willing to do totally pro bono. You might contact some attorneys for consulation, but most of the lawyers on this site are private attorneys who can't really offer services for free. Wherever the criminal case is, you are likely to be eligible for a public defender. I'm happy to discuss the matter with you, but not confident I can offer more than a consultation pro bono

2. You may not need an attorney yet, if the FBI was only questioning your friend. There may not be any charges filed. However, if they are involved, it probably won't be a small case either. Yes you may be able to get a public defender but at the same time, most attorneys will work on a sliding scale of some sort, especially if you do have money coming to you.

This is only an Avvo answer. I am not getting paid to give this response and am basing this response only on the information provided to me in the above question.

3. If the FBI is involved believe me it's not a small case. The FBI doesn't get involved with small cases. In addition, if the FBI is involved you can quit assuming it is criminal because it is because the don't get involved in civil cases unless its a civil forfeiture matter. Now with that said, lets discuss pro bono. Many private criminal attorneys are solo practioners or small firms, thus for any of us to do pro bono would jeopardize our practice. In criminal matters pro bono attorneys are called public defenders and you need to qualify for them. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

4. Sorry but no free attorneys on this site. We are all solo practitioners with bills and mortgages to pay. And the FBI's involvement means it's NOT a small matter. That why they have public defenders. Good luck.

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.