Skip to main content

Hi i am in l2 visa and not working , is it possible for me to apply for a H1 visa? What is the process?

Buffalo, NY |

And also i dont have EAD

Attorney Answers 2


It is much cheaper and easier to apply for an EAD to work than to apply for an H-1B. Also unless your offer is from a cap-exempt employer or you have been on an H-1B within the last 6 years, there are no H-1B's until October 1, 2014 and the earliest you can apply is April 1, 2014.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

1 comment

Neil F. Lewis

Neil F. Lewis


Fantastic answer.


Why in the world would you want to try for a messy/expensive/complicated H when you can get a low-cost and easy L-2 EAD??????

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics