Skip to main content

Hi, I am here in L2 Visa and its getting expired by Sep 2013.

Union City, CA |

Can my employer apply H1 B visa after my L2 visa expires i.e. next year. For H1b visa, is it mandatory to have an active visa when we are applying for it? I want to know whether i will be eligible for H1 B even though my L2 visa would have expired by this year Sep 2013.

Attorney Answers 3


There will be no H-1B visas left by September. Your employer must file as early as possible.

Your employer needs to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise them, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Questions like these are best address to the company's attorney as H-1B is a company petition.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


By visa do you mean status? If you want to change status you have to maintain the L2 status until the H1B kicks in - if new H1B then October 1. However, if it is just a matter of a stamp on the passport, as long as you don't travel you should be fine. Talk to a lawyer before you leave the country.

Shah Peerally, Attorney at Law Phone (510) 742 587 President of Shah Peerally Law Group PC Newark CA Important: The above is provided for educational purposes only. You should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. Cases differ and success in one case might not constitute guaranty of success in your case. We recommed to talk to a licensed attorney before you proceed. For more information on call us on 510 742 5887

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics