Skip to main content

Hi, I am an Italian turist in LA and 2 nights ago I got arrested for DUI. what to do? I am so scared !

Los Angeles, CA |

2 nights ago I did the big mistake to drive after some beers and no dinner.
after a couple of miles I stopped the car next to the sidewalk to check the map on my iphone (engine was still on) and then suddenly police came. they didn't even ask my driving license and my ID, they just pulled me out of the car, ask me if I drunk and then start the sobriety field test, after that i did the breath test and then I got arrested, they didn't read my rights, they just put me the handcuffs and let me sit in their car while they were checking my car.
then they brought me to the police station, where I did another breath test and then after all the pictures and fingerprints they let me call my friends (with my mobile since they were not US numbers) and then put me in the cell till 9:30 in the morning.

Attorney Answers 9

  1. Well first of all it is going to be ok. I know you are scared I am a frequent traveller and know what its like to be in a foreign country without knowing their laws. This is a standard DUI in the US. You will need to hire a local attorney specializing in this area. This is a misdemeanor meaning your lawyer can handle this for you even if you cant make your court appearances. We are happy to be of assistance.

  2. First don't worry hire an attorney in Los Angeles to talk about the facts
    of the case you did not include your alcohol level from the breath test and
    I'm sure the attorney would like to know where you had pulled over you may
    be able to have the case dismissed or negotiate for a lesser charge. If you
    hired an attorney he can take care of everything and you do not have to
    stay in the United States if you do not care to

  3. Most likely your offense is a lower level criminal matter, which should give you the opportunity to retain a local attorney in California but still return to Italy while the attorney handles your case. Use this website to contact some experienced DUI attorneys, some of whom have already answered your question here. Take the time to call them and work on getting someone retained ASAP before you have to leave the country.

  4. Don't panic. Contact some attorneys who can help you. Many of us on Avvo provide a free consultation and can walk you through how the process works. Get some help and you will feel a lot more in control of the situation.

  5. Get an attorney to deal with this for you. This is a first time DUI . Do not ignore it.

    Andrew Roberts (818) 597-0633/ (805) 496-7777

  6. You need to contact an experienced and qualified DUI attorney who is an active member of the California DUI Lawyers Association as soon as possible. There are some deadlines that are fast approaching that could have a significant impact on your case.

    Most of us DUI lawyers provide a free consultation. Start calling around ASAP!

  7. You'll see a common theme in the responses from my colleagues, and I will reiterate: hire a local attorney and relax. We handle these kinds of cases all the time. Make some calls, hire someone, and go about your life.

    This is NOT legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists.

  8. Take a deep breath. And then use avvo to find a few locally experienced DUI attorneys and hire one of them to help you deal with this. Best of luck.

    Jasen Nielsen

  9. Get an aggressive DUI lawyer in CA to help you get through this. I know that it may seem scary, but an attorney can do quite a bit for you in this situation.

    Good luck.

DUI court topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics