Hi, have a q. about constructive retention,My grandmother (+) was born in the US in 1913, she lived here until 1936.

Asked over 3 years ago - Houston, TX

then she married my grandpa a mx citizen and lived abroad , my mother was born in 1937 in mexico, she lived in the US trough high school (boarding school) on a student visa and later went back to Mx. I was born in 1967 and have had b1 visa while living there and e2 visa for last 5 years living here. the question is, can I claim citizenship via double constructive retention?
THX

1. Nisha V. Fontaine

2

Best Answer

Answered . Hello,

In order to determine whether you have a claim to U.S. citizenship through your mother, it would be important for you to receive a extensive professional analysis from an experienced immigration attorney. There are many important factors to consider such as what would be the applicable physical presence requirements (if any), whether your mother automatically acquired citizenship through your grandmother, etc.

I would highly recommend that you speak to an experienced immigration attorney regarding this matter. If you would like to schedule a consultation with our office, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

Nisha V. Fontaine, Esq.
    Serotte Reich Wilson, LLP

Phone: 716-854-7525
    Email: NFontaine@srwlawyers.com

2. C. C. Abbott

1

Answered . It looks like you haved information from the Internet as to the possibility you having gained US Citizenship through constructive retention. YOu now need to contact an experienced immigration attorney to review the facts of the case and examine it witin the Citizenship laws of the time including residency requirements, time in US and status of parents. Good luck.

3. Ekaette Patty-Anne Eddings

Answered . It is advisable to contact an immigration lawyer to discuss your case and find a way forward.
    Goodluck.

4. J Charles Ferrari

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.