Hi, a detective left a note on my door telling me I need to contact him, what should I do?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Civil rights

I was arrested for felony, domestic violence charge about 2 months ago, but no charges has been filed against me.

1. Hire a local criminal defense attorney immediately, and before you respond to the detective's note. If you cannot afford an attorney, you have the right to the assistance of a public defender prior to being questioned in custody. The police may try to trick you into incriminating yourself, and if so, you are best to have an attorney with you (who will likely tell you not to speak--but that is not a decision that can be made without knowing more about the situation).

2. Assuming that you mean a police detective, you want to respond to his note--HOWEVER, only after you first get representation (whether a private criminal defense attorney or one appointed by the public defender's office)

3. Don't make their case for them, don't speak to them voluntarily, if they corner you, ask to speak to your lawyer. Hire counsel before they trick you.

Contributions on AVVO.com in no way create an attorney-client relationship nor are they intended to be relied upon as a course of action without having first consulted directly with an attorney, where the specific facts and circumstances of your case can be fully discussed.

4. I agree with my colleagues. Do not speak with the police without your attorney present. If a detective is looking for you he must be building a case against you. That being said it would be wise to have an attorney on retainer.

-Michael R. Juarez Law Office of Juarez and Schaeffer PO Box 16216 San Diego, CA 92105 (619) 804-4327 www.jslaw.org Mike@jslaw.org This posting is provided for “information purposes” only and should not be relied upon as "legal advice." Nothing transmitted from this posting constitutes the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. Applicability of the legal principles discussed here may differ substantially in individual situations or in different jurisdictions.

Civil rights topics