Hi, a detective left a note on my door telling me I need to contact him, what should I do?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I was arrested for felony, domestic violence charge about 2 months ago, but no charges has been filed against me.

1. Daniel C Grupenhagen

5

Answered . Don't make their case for them, don't speak to them voluntarily, if they corner you, ask to speak to your lawyer. Hire counsel before they trick you.

2. Malosack Berjis

4

Answered . Assuming that you mean a police detective, you want to respond to his note--HOWEVER, only after you first get representation (whether a private criminal defense attorney or one appointed by the public defender's office)

3. Kenan Lee Isitt

4

Answered . Hire a local criminal defense attorney immediately, and before you respond to the detective's note. If you cannot afford an attorney, you have the right to the assistance of a public defender prior to being questioned in custody. The police may try to trick you into incriminating yourself, and if so, you are best to have an attorney with you (who will likely tell you not to speak--but that is not a decision that can be made without knowing more about the situation).

4. Michael Ryan Juarez

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. Do not speak with the police without your attorney present. If a detective is looking for you he must be building a case against you. That being said it would be wise to have an attorney on retainer.