Skip to main content

HI ; my friend has been married to his wife for 7 years she is from columbia, can she appiy for citizenship ,and how ?

North Hollywood, CA |

thay have been married and living together for 7 years ,but she never applyed for us citizenship what should she do ? ? i want to help them ...

my friend is a us citizen,and thay have been married and living togather for 7 years .. she came here on a visa but it expire after thay got married.but now she needs to work to help support them.

Attorney Answers 3


Is your friend a US Citizen and does his wife already have her green card? There is not enough information to really answer your question.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


She must first be a permanent resident. If she has been a permanent resident for at least three years then she can apply for citizenship. If she is not a permanent resident then her husband must file an I-130 visa petition. The best thing to do is have your friend and his wife meet with an immigration attorney for a consultation.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


Based on your additional information it appears they need to first adjust her status to that of lawful permanent resident. That is the first step in the process. Using a visa to enter is good news as that likely makes her eligible pursuant to INA 245(a).

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics