Hi...i was born here my fiance is from mexico...we want 2 get him legal...what should our 1st move be?

Asked over 2 years ago - Dallas, TX

he is still currently married from bk in late 90s but they separated after couple years and now he wants 2 divorce her and marry me...he has been living in United States for about 17 years...what do we have 2 do??

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Gen Kimura

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Did he come to the U.S. illegally, or he fell out of status?

    This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.... more
  2. Susan Renee Bond

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If your fiance and you get married (he will need to be legally divorced prior to you marrying each other); and he came here on a visa and overstayed, he may be able to adjust (fix) his status here in the US. If he didn't come to the US legally, has anyone ever filed anything on his behalf before? You need to speak to an experienced immigration attorney prior to filing anything, because there may be options that are available to him, depending on the circumstances in which he entered the US originally.

  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What needs to be done depends on how your fiancé entered the US, whether he qualifies for 245(i), etc.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,582 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,582 answers this week

3,051 attorneys answering