Hi , I have accident over see , in UK , Can I file case against them i US

Asked 8 months ago - Chicago, IL

Hi , I have accident over see , in UK , defendant (company) who is responsible for accident admitted for responsibility .
But is already over 2 years and UK lawyer don't have any results , they say US doctors opinion not met
UK criteria , in my opinion thy looking for something to don't pay compensation . Can I file case against them i US in US court

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV


    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Highly unlikely. You would have both jurisdiction and statute of limitations problems here. You did the right thing by proceeding in the UK.

    Though we strive to provide accurate legal information in our answers on AVVO, our answer should not be construed... more
  2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Accident or damage occurred there, suit is there. I don't see a way to file legitimately here. Talk to your lawyer in UK for assistance.

    Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

    This answer posted on Avvo is for informational and educational purposes only. There is no attorney-client... more
  3. Chen Kasher

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, you can, but the defendant will object and the judge may not allow it. Generally, jurisdiction/venue is an issue for the defendant, not the plaintiff, so if you are willing to come over to prosecute your case, that might be acceptable.

    Another issue is that you have a pending UK case. You cannot recover twice.

    None of us are qualified to opine about UK law, so talk to your UK attorney about whether this is viable.

    (773) 853-3062

    This answer is intended as informational only, and does not constitute legal advice or form an attorney-client... more
  4. Judy A. Goldstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no basis to file in US court for an accident that occurred in the UK where the defendant is in the UK. If you do not like your UK lawyer, hire another one.

  5. Christian K. Lassen II


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You would want to retain a UK lawyer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,501 answers this week

2,765 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary