Hi , I have accident over see , in UK , Can I file case against them i US

Asked 8 months ago - Chicago, IL

Hi , I have accident over see , in UK , defendant (company) who is responsible for accident admitted for responsibility .
But is already over 2 years and UK lawyer don't have any results , they say US doctors opinion not met
UK criteria , in my opinion thy looking for something to don't pay compensation . Can I file case against them i US in US court

1. Joseph Andrew Brabender IV

Pro

9

Answered . Highly unlikely. You would have both jurisdiction and statute of limitations problems here. You did the right thing by proceeding in the UK.

2. Stephen Laurence Hoffman

Pro

8

Answered . Accident or damage occurred there, suit is there. I don't see a way to file legitimately here. Talk to your lawyer in UK for assistance.

Stephen L. Hoffman
    Law Office of Stephen L. Hoffman LLC
    Chicago, IL
    773-944-9737
    Email: stephen@hofflawyer.com
    Website: www.hofflawyer.com
    Blog: www.hofflawyer.com/blog/

3. Chen Kasher

6

Answered . Yes, you can, but the defendant will object and the judge may not allow it. Generally, jurisdiction/venue is an issue for the defendant, not the plaintiff, so if you are willing to come over to prosecute your case, that might be acceptable.

Another issue is that you have a pending UK case. You cannot recover twice.

None of us are qualified to opine about UK law, so talk to your UK attorney about whether this is viable.

chenkasher@gmail.com
    chenkasherlaw.vpweb.com
    (773) 853-3062

4. Judy A. Goldstein

5

Answered . There is no basis to file in US court for an accident that occurred in the UK where the defendant is in the UK. If you do not like your UK lawyer, hire another one.

Pro

5

Answered . You would want to retain a UK lawyer