Hi! International student with F-1 visa on OPT worked on a company for stock. DOS now requires signature of letter.

Asked over 1 year ago - Sunnyvale, CA

I got engaged with a start-up that offered stock as compensation while I had no work authorization. The company required me to send a form election 83b to the IRS that states I paid $0.33 cents per unit. So I always thought I could just pay for such units anytime considering this a purchase option with no obligation to own/pay for those units. The contracts say I will be given units in compensation but they also say that there should be no conflict of law. Many times I told the company about restrictions for F-1 students & that I intended to pay for units. Recently, the company went meet with the DOS at my school who is asking me to sign an agreement saying that I volunteered but also that the company will void any stocks. I want to keep my F-1 status & to pay for the units. Any advice?

1. J Charles Ferrari

2

Answered . Retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

2. Mark Robert Barr

2

Answered . I'm not sure I'm following your question, but it sounds like you may have violated the terms of your student status. You say you received stocks as compensation. Compensation for what? What, exactly, did you do for the start-up?

3. F. J. Capriotti III

1

Answered . Even being given the opportunity to purchase stock in-exchange-for-volunteer-'work' is not permitted.

Do what the foreign student adviser states and consider yourself lucky that your visa/OPT isn't being terminated in SEVIS.

4. Lalita Haran

1

Answered . If you worked without authorization and received compensation even if as stocks you are in violation of status. Volunteering and voinding the stocks is a good idea. Best Wishes!
    Lalita Haran
    13295 Illinois st ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com