Skip to main content

Hi ....I am Jyoti Mali. I am on a green card. I need advice for renewing SB-1 visa. Kindly help. My GC hasnt expired yet.

Charlotte, NC |
Filed under: Immigration Green cards

I have a green card on which the date hasnt expired. I am in India and need help in renewing it...since I want to re enter US.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You should consult an immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, and obtain professional assistance. Good luck to you.
Dean P. Murray
The Murray Law Firm
560 Sylvan Avenue
Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
T: (201)875-2600
F: (201)549-8700

Mr. Murray's response is NOT legal advice and does NOT create an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT rely on this response. Mr. Murray's response was generated without conducting a full inquiry as would occur during a face to face attorney-client consultation. It is likely that the response above may be made less accurate, or become entirely inaccurate, as you, i.e. the questioner, disclose additional facts that should only be discussed during a private consultation with an attorney. I strongly recommend that you consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state (or, in the case of immigration law, and attorney in ANY state), whereupon all relevant facts will be discussed. All responses posted by Mr. Murray on are intended as general information for the education of the public, and not for any specific individual.


I agree.


Relevant information is missing. Discuss your case with an experienced immigration attorney.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


It is difficult to answer your question without more information

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


I think the most important question is how long have you been in India. If you have been outside the United States more than one year, US Customs and Border Patrol will try to say that you abandoned your permanent residence if you try to re-enter. Having said that, you should gather all documentation to indicate why you were abroad and how you did not intend to abandon your residence. I highly recommend that you hire an attorney to walk you through this process of re-entering with your current greencard, or certainly in renewing the SB-1 visa.
Best of luck.

Lisa R. Brenman

Lisa R. Brenman


I agree with this answer and add that if you have been outside the U.S. for more than one year at one time, you will have to explain why and also prove that your prolonged absence was beyond your control.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer