Hi, Extension for an expired H1B from outside US

Asked about 1 year ago - Indio, CA


I was on H1b from 2007 till 2009 and then came back to India due to personal issues. I never applied for extension as i assumed i need to go for a new H1 as told by my HR. Now in my current company, they are willing to transfer the H1. My question is by when i could apply for transfer?

Is it 6 years from when the petition was approved or with in 6 years of last known valid H1 status?



Attorney answers (3)

  1. Carl Michael Shusterman


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can apply for a new H-1B visa.

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration... more
  2. Dana Roxana Bucin

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot transgfer anylonger since you are not in H-1B status currently. You can get a new H-1B visa, however, with the same or new employer. Since you had H-1B status in the past 6 years, you won't be subject to cap so you can apply whenever your employer wants.

    Contact: 860-548-2629 or dbucin@uks.com. This answer is provided for general education purposes only and is not... more
  3. Paul M. Ruby

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You cannot transfer it since you no longer have the status, but you can apply again (and are not cap subject, so this can be done whenever). Does the company have an immigration lawyer retained? That's probably a good person for you to talk to.

    This is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been formed, now or in the future. This is just... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,043 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,043 answers this week

3,170 attorneys answering