Hi, Extension for an expired H1B from outside US

Asked about 1 year ago - Indio, CA

Hi,

I was on H1b from 2007 till 2009 and then came back to India due to personal issues. I never applied for extension as i assumed i need to go for a new H1 as told by my HR. Now in my current company, they are willing to transfer the H1. My question is by when i could apply for transfer?

Is it 6 years from when the petition was approved or with in 6 years of last known valid H1 status?

Thanks

Bhaskar

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

12

Answered . You can apply for a new H-1B visa.

2. Dana Roxana Bucin

3

Answered . You cannot transgfer anylonger since you are not in H-1B status currently. You can get a new H-1B visa, however, with the same or new employer. Since you had H-1B status in the past 6 years, you won't be subject to cap so you can apply whenever your employer wants.

3. Paul M. Ruby

2

Answered . You cannot transfer it since you no longer have the status, but you can apply again (and are not cap subject, so this can be done whenever). Does the company have an immigration lawyer retained? That's probably a good person for you to talk to.