Hey, I was hit from behind while sitting at a traffic light, my neck was hurting at the accident and it hurts a more now, but I

Don't have health insurance at this time. If I go to the hospital, am I liable for the bills at this time and what if there is surgery needed? What's the best route to take?

Telford, PA -

Philip Anthony Fabiano

Philip Anthony Fabiano

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Pittsburgh, PA

If you carry auto insurance, then you have at least $5,000.00 of medical coverage. Use it and use it immediately. I'm not a doctor and you have not even seen a doctor but it is unlikely you will need surgery. In any event you need to be evaluated by a doctor even if you may need surgery.
Being hit from behind while stopped at a traffic light is almost conclusive evidence of negligence on the part of the other driver.
Retain a lawyer immediately to help you with this claim.

Harold Semanoff

Harold Semanoff

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Huntingdon Valley, PA

If you have automobile insurance, then you will have a minimum of $5,000 in medical insurance coverage. You should immediately call your auto insurance carrier and get a claim number to use when getting treatment. Then you should schedule an appointment with your family doctor or go to the Emergency Room if you do not have one. If you were the owner of the car that you were driving and you did not have auto insurance, then you do not have medical insurance available thru the other driver's policy. In any event, you should promptly contact a local personal injury attorney for further guidance. Best of luck.

Andrew D. Swain

Andrew D. Swain

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Bensalem, PA

Your auto insurance or the auto insurance covering the vehicle you occupied should provide a minimum of $5,000 of medical benefits. Call a lawyer as well to discuss your rights and how best to proceed. The attorney can report the accident to your insurance carrier and confirm the benefits you are entitled to under your own policy, e.g., medical benefits, income loss benefits, etc.

Christian K. Lassen II

Christian K. Lassen II

Car / Auto Accident Lawyer - Philadelphia, PA

Best bet is to retain a top-rated Avvo Philadelphia personal injury lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you don't get hurt twice.

Jason Alexander Richman

Jason Alexander Richman

Personal Injury Lawyer - Farmington, NY

Immediately contact a Philadelphia Personal Injury attorney. Several good ones listed on this site. They will help to guide you through these questions by asking you for more personal information than you can give in this forum. They will know if PA is a no-fault state and so you can go to the hospital without any financial worry.

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Christopher Daniel Leroi

Business Attorney - Greenwood Village, CO

Contact a local personal injury attorney ASAP.

Jonathan David Marx

Jonathan David Marx

Personal Injury Lawyer - Bala Cynwyd, PA

I agree with my colleagues, if you have auto insurance you have $5,000.00 in coverage for medicals related to an accident, my suggestion is that you get treatment and speak to a personal injury attorney to make a claim against the other driver, best of luck.

Joseph John Bernardo

Joseph John Bernardo

Personal Injury Lawyer - Fort Myers, FL

The best route based on the facts as you describe is to contact one of these experienced Avvo injury atorneys in your state. You will be liable for bills unless a claim is made properly against your automobile insurance carrier and/or the other driver in the form of a personal injury claim.

Lars A. Lundeen

Lars A. Lundeen

Personal Injury Lawyer - Rutland, VT

You should obtain needed medical care and treatment immediately and follow the doctor's advice. Do not give any statement to the adverse party or insurance company nor grant them access to any medical records. Photograph the injuries and the damage done to any property. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area as soon as possible so that you can protect your rights. You may also find it helpful to review the Legal Guides I have published on Avvo.com dealing with many of the issues you are now facing. The Guides can be accessed through my profile page on Avvo.com.

Legal Disclaimer:

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below.

Mr. Lundeen is licensed to practice law in Florida and Vermont. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Lundeen strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

This ans. does not create an attorney/client relationship.