Here's my mess looking for the best advice.

Asked over 1 year ago - Denver, CO

well I'm from el Paso Texas, I'm 21 and I got a DWI when I was twenty, its been almost two years and I still haven't been convicted which means I'm still out on bond since I check in every week by phone only. Well recently I came to Denver with my brother to work since I wasn't in el Paso, and night of partying turned against me and I got busted for diu and possession of controlled substance. So I'm in a hole since I have to go back to el Paso for court in February but now I'm in bond here, what is it I should do?

Attorney answers (6)

  1. Nicholas Lubchenco


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The simple answer is get an experienced attorney. DUIs are technical cases. You want to make sure your attorney is good with DUIs and with felony cases. If you can't afford an attorney, apply for a public defender to help you. Also, stay out of trouble.
    Most of us DUI and criminal defense attorneys offer free consultations. Talk with attorneys until you find one you like and can afford.
    Good luck.

    Lubchenco, Kendrick, & Baldridge, L.L.P. 720-644-6413. The information provided here does not create an attorney-... more
  2. Frank Mascagni III

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire a criminal defense attorney in Denver; advise your TX criminal defense attorney of your new arrest and have the 2 lawyers speak to formulate a joint defense to resolve both cases without impacting the other. Get counsel!

    I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this... more
  3. Ralph F. Guerra

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should call your attorney in El Paso so he can advise the court in February, or possibly waive your appearance to avoid an El Paso warrant but your bond in El Paso is likely to be revoked once the court learns of your new law violation. Two years on a pending DWI charge seems like a long time, unless there was serious injury or death involved. You should have both your lawyers communicating.

  4. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You should be talking to your El Paso lawyer as well as a good DUI / DWI lawyer there in Denver. You are almost certainly in violation of your bond. This will be complicated.

    Often people think that because it isn’t a murder case, a drunk driving case is simple. Nothing could be further from the truth. These cases can be among the most complex a criminal defense lawyer handles. The government is willing to spend an incredible amount of money to convict you though. They will have expert witnesses available for consultation and trial.

    That you have been charged or that some contraption says your alcohol level was at a certain level does not mean that you are guilty. It certainly does not mean that you can be proven guilty using competent, valid evidence.

    Field sobriety “tests” are designed to give police a reason to arrest. You cannot “pass” them. The police will admit that almost a third of healthy young adults who take these tests without any alcohol will be judged to be “under the influence” – and that assumes they are properly administered!

    After even a first drunk driving conviction, you may face employment discrimination. You will certainly be charged higher for insurance. Having such a conviction will also make you a target for drunk driving arrest in future interactions with police. You will automatically become a suspect.

    You will want a lawyer who is familiar with field sobriety “tests,” perhaps one who is certified to administer these tests. You will want a lawyer familiar with the weaknesses of the contraptions that are used to report alcohol or drug levels. You want an experienced trial lawyer, used to cross-examining police officers. Police officers are practiced, experienced witnesses.

    That is, you want an experienced drunk driving defense lawyer, whether you call the offense DUI, OWI, DWI, OUI, or drugged driving.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.
    Thank you.

    --- Experienced DUI/DWI/OWI/Drunk Driving Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin Drunk Driving / OWI / DWI / DUI Lawyer

    --- Field sobriety "tests" – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin DUI / DWI / OWI / Drunk Driving lawyer

    --- Drugged Driving/DUI/DWI/Drunk Driving with Prescription Drugs – Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin

    --- Which Offenses Count as Priors in Wisconsin? - Madison Dane County Wisconsin DUI OWI Drunk Driving Lawyer answers

    --- Ten Days to Save Your License - Administrative Suspension and Refusals in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin drunk driving (DUI/OWI/DWI) defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

    To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    See “more” link below for more important information about this answer and AVVO.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more
  5. Keith G Langer

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The immediate issue is the new OUI. IF you are deemed indigent, you will have an attorney appointed. If not, you will need to retain your own. As you are on bond, how this matter is disposed of is important.

    Contact the Denver and CO bar associations for referrals.

    The foregoing is for general information purposes and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.
  6. Michael Douglas Shafer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Get a good DUI attorney to unravel your mess. Also, dislodge your head.

Related Topics

DUI: An overview

The definition, charges, and penalties for driving under the influence (DUI) vary by state and depend on a number of factors.

Drugged driving

Drugged driving is a blanket term that covers all DUI offenses that don't involve alcohol, such as those for marijuana or other drugs.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,751 answers this week

3,307 attorneys answering