Skip to main content

Here on an e2 visa (with family) through employer, can it be converted to green card by sibling sponsorship thro wife's brother?

Bothell, WA |

Wife's brother is a US citizen for +5yrs
All born in the UK with UK passports

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


E2 treaty investor visas cannot be "converted" to another category or to a green card. It is a "cul de sac" as many of my French clients like to refer to it. A "sibling's sponsorship" is fine, but takes six between 14 years to materialize and come to fruition. May you all live that long!

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


Sibling's F4 category visa priority moves rather slow. It take about 14 years from the date the sibling properly files the application, for the visa interview to happen or adjustment of status to become ripe for filing.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer