Her father is not around and i need a passport.

Bronx, NY |

we are traveling this summer my 15yr old needs a passport her father is not part of her life he does not financially, morally nor physically support her in any way shape or form. i applied for her passport stating that he is not around now the agency wants more information what else can i tell them that can get me the passport. i have always done everything for her on my own with my families help. he sporadically communicates with her via text never a call or visit and he got the phone number from his siblings who also sporadically communicate with us. why is he important in this decision when for everything else i am never asked about him or his signature. i need to get this issue resolved ASAP due to us traveling in July. any advice given is greatly appreciated.

Thank You

if you have a court order giving you custody, that should do it

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

no i dont he was taken to child support by the HRA but never paid one cent into it. i mean he doesnt appear on any other form other then the birth certificate and paternity acknowlegment

Unless you have an order terminating his parental rights, they cannot issue a passport without his consent. The passport office will not make that determination, but rather the family court in your jurisdiction will decide that.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.

ok will that process be fast

If the passport agency won't grant her a passport based on what you have already then you shodul contact a family law attorney to get you a Court order.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
Fax: (619) 923-3277
website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law

Education law topics