Hemo Dialysis patients as you know are prone to infections, she was independent, able to drive dress herself etc...

Seaside, CA |

she was given an antibiotic Gentemicin as a push, one day after dialysis, within a few days she lost her independence, the ability to walk, dress herself bathe herself etc..
she now has Ototoxicity. The nurse administered the Gentimicn. 1st push was 5 units, 15 minutes later she pushed the the remainder, then said oops. my sister will have to live with me for the rest of her life.

1. Facts are a but unclear but it sounds like you should consult a malpractice attorney and they will review her medical records and advise you accordingly.

2. People on dialysis are very ill by definition and are susceptible to many complications of the treatment. That's not to say that they can't be victims of medical malpractice and entitled to compensation, but the severity of the underlying condition makes it more difficult to prove up a convincing case. It would be a good idea to call some medical malpractice lawyers and discuss the situation. Telephone consultations are generally free. You should also be aware that CA has a short statute of limitations for medical malpractice claims, so your sister should not waste time getting legal advice.

Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to Avvo questions are for general information purposes only, and should not be construed or relied upon as legal advice.

3. Hard to understand the entirety of your facts. If you believe that malpractice may have occurred, you should consult with a qualified attorney.

4. A med mal lawyer would need to order the medical records and send them to an expert to review to ascertain whether there was a breach of the standard of care.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com

5. Gentamicin is an old school (and by that I mean it was already a well-known, well studied, and widely used when I was in medical school and that was quite a while ago) and still very effective antibiotic. Aminoglycosides share the known side effect of, often irreversible, ototoxicity. Gentamicin is an aminoglycoside.

Interestingly, the ototoxic effect of gentamicin has been linked to both the duration of exposure as well as the blood (and inner ear) levels (concentrations) of the drug during therapy. While the usual dosing of intravenous gentamicin requires multiple doses be given each day to keep a constant therapeutic (but not toxic) level, there have been studies done about once a day dosing. A dialysis patient is a completely unique patient in that his or her drug clearance can be very difficult to calculate, which means proper dosing of medications can be quite challenging.

Bringing a suit against a physician / nurse / dialysis center, etc. for ototoxicity allegedly from one single, albeit large, dose of gentamicin would involve multiple medical expert physicians (nephrology, infectious disease, etc.) as well as some over the top academic geeks to opine on serum levels, toxic effects, molecular binding capacity, inner ear barrier penetration, half life, and many other ivory tower topics.

All the above aside, anyone who even suspects he or she is a victim of medical malpractice should consult with a medical malpractice attorney as soon as possible (there are always statutes of limitation issues in California). There should be no fear in calling one of us as we often provide initial consultations free of charge.

- Paul

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D.
    Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker
    Fransen & Molinaro, LLP
    980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206
    Corona, CA 92879
    (951)520-9684
    www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com

"When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW."

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.
    ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.

Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D. ... Attorney at Law, Physician, Broker... Fransen & Molinaro, LLP... 980 Montecito Drive, Suite 206... Corona, CA 92879... (951)520-9684... www.fransenandmolinaro.com / www.888MDJDLAW.com... "When you need a lawyer, call the Doctor... Call Paul J. Molinaro, M.D., J.D... Call (888)MDJDLAW." ... * This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy... ** Fransen & Molinaro, LLP practices in the areas of personal injury, medical malpractice, and real estate law.