Help writing a DMCA.

Asked over 1 year ago - Ithaca, NY

I need help with writing a DMCA to get explicit photos off from a website that my ex boyfriend posted out of spite. The website states that "If you are a copyright owner and you believe the use of your images on this site is infringing in any way, please contact us immediately. We will promptly comply with any takedown demand as long as the demand meets the requirements of the DMCA. At a minimum, any removal request is required to include at least the following things:."

1. Paul Karl Siepmann

Pro

3

Answered . Are you the copyright owner? Did you take the pictures? The passage you quote applies to images you OWN (your images) not images OF you. If you're in Ithica, try contacting the Cornell Legal Aid Clinic. If you don't qualify for assistance from them, retain a local IP attorney.

2. Pamela Koslyn

4

Answered . If the website's not in Ithaca, then that's not where you need to find a lawyer. Read the site's terms of use and see where they're located and where they want any DMCA notice sent. That's where you need a lawyer to be licensed, and it's unlikely it's in Ithaca.

Then use Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" search function and find a lawyer whose practice includes IP.

Even if someone helps you for free to send this notice, it could be ignored. Having a lawyer send the notice tells the site that you're willing to sue (even if you're not actually willing to do this) if they don't comply expeditiously, as they're required to to immunize themselves from a copyright infringement suit.

3. Maurice N Ross

Pro

1

Answered . Unless you are the copyright owner (i.e., the photographer or the person who hired the photographer), then you have no right to file a DMCA takedown demand. The person who merely appears in a photograph does not own the copyright.

You are trying to engage in self-help, but in truth you need a lawyer. Your ex-boyfriend may have violated your rights of privacy and publicity, and he may even have engaged in criminal misconduct by wrongly posting explicit photographs featuring you without your consent.

Of course, I am assuming that you did not consent to appearing in these photographs or their use. Your ex-boyfriend may argue that you voluntarily appeared in the photographs and did not impose restrictions on their use. Consent can be a major problem in these cases---the law is unsettled regarding "revenge" postings on the internet by ex-boyfriends/girlfriends/spouses.

Let's be practical , however. Even the law is unsettled, it is clear that you need a lawyer to deal with this. In most situations, a stern letter from a lawyer is sufficient to solve problems like this. I have resolved several such cases on behalf of celebrity clients who find the photographs from youthful indiscretions are proliferating on the internet. You need to retain legal counsel if you want to deal with this successfully---self help will not work.

4. Daniel Nathan Ballard

2

Answered . As my colleagues note, you really should have your own attorney review the facts to determine if a takedown notice is appropriate and, if it is, to send the notice. If you can't afford an attorney visit the link below which explains how to send a notice. Good luck.