Help with transmutation agreement and asset protection

Sunnyvale, CA |

Hi folks,

I'm looking for help regarding a transmutation agreement (converting community property to separate property). I want to do this for asset protection reasons.

Is this agreement something I can do on my own, or do I need a lawyer to help out? If laywer, do you guys recommend some one in the Bay Area, CA?

Transmutation of property is serious business; once it's done, it cannot be undone except by re-transmutation.

Transmutation requires a clear writing identifying the property in question in no uncertain terms and indicating that it is being converted from community property to separate property. Both spouses should sign it.

It may be relevant why you want to do it. Transmutations are not necessary effective as to third parties. See the relevant code section:

(a) A transmutation of real or personal property is not valid unless made in writing by an express declaration that is made, joined in, consented to, or accepted by the spouse whose interest in the property is adversely affected.

(b) A transmutation of real property is not effective as to third parties without notice thereof unless recorded.

(c) This section does not apply to a gift between the spouses of clothing, wearing apparel, jewelry, or other tangible articles of a personal nature that is used solely or principally by the spouse to whom the gift is made and that is not substantial in value taking into account the circumstances of the marriage.

(d) Nothing in this section affects the law governing characterization of property in which separate property and community property are commingled or otherwise combined.

(e) This section does not apply to or affect a transmutation of property made before January 1, 1985, and the law that would otherwise be applicable to that transmutation shall continue to apply. (Ad Stats 1992, C 162)

If you're doing it for "asset protection" from creditors, then you may be barking up the wrong tree.

You should also understand that this could possibly have tax implications, depending upon what's being transferred, why, and how.

You may want to pay a visit to an experienced, local family law attorney before doing this. It is not that you need a lawyer to DO it, but that you may need to know a) is it the best course of action for what you are trying to accomplish?, and b) is it a good idea, in general?

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

I agree with Mr. Yomtov's statements. I write only to advise the importance of your spouse having separate, independent counsel if you want a transmutation agreement to stand up. IMO, not only is it not a DIY project -- it is not something you can effectively accomplish without your spouse having an attorney too.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

There are quite a number of issues that need to be addressed in regard to drafting an enforceable agreement that has a reasonable chance to stand the scrutiny of attack under different theories of the law. There are many things to look at, and without the participation of experienced legal counsel, your chances of success are extremely low. An attorney I would recommend would be Cynthia Cho in Newark, CA. You can email her at

This participating Attorney does not warrant any information provided, nor are we creating an Attorney-Client relationship by providing said information to you on this site. Nothing contained herein is intended to constitute, offer, induce, promise, or contract of any kind. The content provided is presented as a courtesy to be used only for informational purposes and is not represented to be error free. The Law Offices of John N. Kitta makes no representations or warranties of any kind with respect to its answer to inquiries, and such representations and warranties are being expressly disclaimed. Given limited facts, we are attempting to share relevant information concerning this area of the law as a public service.

Recommended articles about Divorce