Help with paperwork for credit card debt settlement with collection agency

I have $74xx debt on Citibank credit that was charged off last month (April 2011) and now the file is with Client Services Inc. collection agency. I spoke with them and agreed to "settle in full" for 25% of balance paid in 3 parts over 3 months. They said they have mailed me the agreement which I never got. They sent me a copy of agreement by email but its a simple letter typed (not on a letter head) and there is no signature on it. I need someone to help me with handling the paper work. I want to make sure its done right. I am overseas right now. My job ended with my visa and I left country last year ending. I have friends helping me settle this debt. I want to settle this issue at the early stage since I have plans to return to US in next couple of years.

Miami, FL -

Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Mitchell Paul Goldstein

Bankruptcy Attorney - Glen Allen, VA

Just make your proposal to them in writing and make sure that you get a response in writing. Both sides need to sign whatever agreement you have. I typically advise fighting these claims because the paperwork is so sloppy that no one except the original creditor can prove ownership. Also, there is a time limit for them to come after you. If you are out of the country for longer than that, then they can never serve you.

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Bankruptcy Attorney - Syracuse, NY

Even if they cannot serve you properly that does not mean that they will not try and serve you at your last know address and will get a judgment improperly.

make sure you keep all of the documents and get a release with your payment.

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Theodore Lyons Araujo

Bankruptcy Attorney - Syracuse, NY

Get someone to help you in your local community!

Benjamin A. Stolz

Benjamin A. Stolz

Bankruptcy Attorney - Dallas, TX

A quick comment. Hiring an attorney to assist you is wise. I also wanted to bring another issue up - you may, or may not, have an IRS tax debt related to forgiveness of debt. This can be a complex area; however, it should be considered. Be sure to mention this to the attorney you hire since you will likely receive a 1099-C at some point after concluding the matter. This publication (link below) from the IRS may help the attorney you retain if they are not familiar with the issues.

Ask your questions on our Q&A forum. It's free and anonymous.

Need to find an attorney? Browse our lawyer directory.