Help with paperwork for credit card debt settlement with collection agency

Miami, FL |

I have $74xx debt on Citibank credit that was charged off last month (April 2011) and now the file is with Client Services Inc. collection agency. I spoke with them and agreed to "settle in full" for 25% of balance paid in 3 parts over 3 months. They said they have mailed me the agreement which I never got. They sent me a copy of agreement by email but its a simple letter typed (not on a letter head) and there is no signature on it.

I need someone to help me with handling the paper work. I want to make sure its done right.

I am overseas right now. My job ended with my visa and I left country last year ending. I have friends helping me settle this debt. I want to settle this issue at the early stage since I have plans to return to US in next couple of years.

I am looking for an affordable legal attorney to help me making sure signed agreement is correct indicating that the debt is settled in full and that they waive any right to pursue any further legal remedies regarding any remaining amounts. The last thing I want is pay them and they come back knocking for more. I also want to offer about 2-4% to the collection agency as "Pay for Delete" to completely remove account info from credit report.

1. Just make your proposal to them in writing and make sure that you get a response in writing. Both sides need to sign whatever agreement you have. I typically advise fighting these claims because the paperwork is so sloppy that no one except the original creditor can prove ownership. Also, there is a time limit for them to come after you. If you are out of the country for longer than that, then they can never serve you.

Mr. Goldstein is a Virginia-licensed attorney only. The information is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation. Answering this question does not in any way constitute legal representation. Contacting Mitchell Goldstein or the Goldstein Law Group does not constitute legal representation, nor is any information you provide protected by attorney-client privilege until otherwise advised.

2. Even if they cannot serve you properly that does not mean that they will not try and serve you at your last know address and will get a judgment improperly.

make sure you keep all of the documents and get a release with your payment.

Disclaimer: This answer does not constitute legal advice. I am admitted in the States of New York, New Jersey and Massachusetts only and make no attempt to opine on matters of law that are not relevant to those three States. This advice is based on general principles of law that may or may not relate to your specific situation. Facts and laws change and these possible changes will affect the advice provided here. Consult an attorney in your locale before you act on any of this advice. You should not rely on this advice alone and nothing in these communications creates an attorney client relationship.

3. Get someone to help you in your local community!

4. A quick comment. Hiring an attorney to assist you is wise. I also wanted to bring another issue up - you may, or may not, have an IRS tax debt related to forgiveness of debt. This can be a complex area; however, it should be considered. Be sure to mention this to the attorney you hire since you will likely receive a 1099-C at some point after concluding the matter. This publication (link below) from the IRS may help the attorney you retain if they are not familiar with the issues.

The information provided in this post is for informational purposes only and should not be relied upon, nor treated as, legal advice. The reading of this information is not intended to form an attorney-client relationship with the posting attorney. If you have any questions about this post, the contents, or the information referenced in the attached link, you are advised to seek professional legal counsel from a licensed Louisiana attorney.