Help with food stamp question

Asked 11 months ago - Brooklyn, NY

Ok so I was taken off of my moms food stamp case. Now i am applying for my own case. I am a month to month tenant. I do not have a lease. However, my receipts all have the address on them, and my name and my landlords name on them. I also have bills in my name for that address. Why would i need a letter from my landlord saying i live there? If I already have that proof.

If i was going to ask for that letter then i would have had a lease in the beginning and i don't wanna get kicked out for asking for a letter saying that I live there.

1. Rory M. Alarcon

2

Answered . The reason you need that letter is because Social Services requires a lease as evidence of the expense. The receipts do not necessarily show that you will continue to have the same cost for rent in the future, and Social Services does not want to provide benefits to those who cannot show that the amount will be payable in the future.

2. Bruno Patrick Bianchi

1

Answered . The food stamp office is asking for the landlord's letter specifically because you don't have a lease. If you have submitted all of that other proof of residence, you can try asking the food stamp office to drop the landlord's letter request.

You should not be afraid to ask the landlord for the letter. You are not asking for a lease, just an acknowledgement that you and your family live there. Landlords in New York City provide these letters for their tenants to present to HRA -- whether or not those tenants have leases -- all of the time.