Help terminating lease from building with multiple code violations?

Worcester, MA |

landlord does not maintain property as he should by massachusetts law multiple safety risks, rodent infestation, yet he knows the system and has not been penalized for it. has not hired exterminator, little to no effort on repairs (ex. front stairs falling apart due to wrong "cheap" materials could pose risk of extreme injury possibly death when they finally go) i need a way to take him to court and give him nothing to stand on.

You might want to look here, to start:
http://www.masslegalhelp.org/housing/legal-tactics1

Depending on your willingness to escalate, you should also contact an attorney. You may be able to recover rent.

Do you want accurate, personalized, legal advice that you can rely on? You will have to hire an attorney, not ask on Avvo. I am not your attorney and am not creating an attorney-client relationship by this post. I am therefore giving only general advice. This advice may not apply to you or your situation; may not take account of all possibilities, and may not match the advice I would give to a client. DO NOT rely on this advice or any other advice on Avvo to make your legal decisions. If you want an answer to a legal question you should retain an attorney who is licensed in your state.

If you haven't already, you may also want to consider withholding rent due to the poor conditions in the apartment. This can often have the effect of giving a landlord new urgency to deal with problems. It can also encourage a landlord to start an eviction which may be a good thing in your case since at that point you could bring all of your counterclaims and defenses against him, including retaliation for bringing the eviction as a result of your lawful rent withholding. I agree with Erik that you should probably consult an attorney to determine exactly what defenses and counterclaims might be available to you as well as whether it might be a good idea to withhold rent in your particular situation, and if so, how best to go about doing so. Good luck!

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change.