Help on what actions I should take regarding car accident.

Harbor City, CA |

I let a friend of mine drive my car to a liquor store, and he crashed into a part of a building which totaled my car, I was not in the car when it happened, and he gave me his word to take full liability when I was talking to the cops when they arrived, and apparently my friend did not even have a license nor insurance, and apparently he was under the influence of drinking alcohol as well which was probably how this even happened. I did not contact my insurance since the cost of repair was worth thousands more than how much i bought the car for, so I just sent it to the scrap yard, it's been a little over a year and during that time he changed his address and phone to avoid me, can I sue him and win in small claims court?

throughout the year he kept saying i needed a job, and after a year he changed address and phone number so i had no way to contact him, i then saw him randomly and asked him when will you be paying me back, and he said it's not my responsibility or problem and just ignored me, I plan to sue him beacuse I have suffered from this since losing my car delayed me from going to school for a year and all the money I lost.

You can sue but it appears that this person may be judgment proof. Good luck to you.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at

You can sue anyone, winning and collecting are often very different things.

I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question does not mean I am your attorney. In Arizona a non-lawyer is held to the same standards as an attorney so there are dangers to representing yourself. This is for informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. If you require legal assistance an in depth discussion of your case is needed as there are many other issues to consider such as defenses, statute of limitations, etc.

I agree with my colleagues and their answers.

Mike Walker

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes