Help on what actions I should take regarding car accident.

Asked over 1 year ago - Harbor City, CA

I let a friend of mine drive my car to a liquor store, and he crashed into a part of a building which totaled my car, I was not in the car when it happened, and he gave me his word to take full liability when I was talking to the cops when they arrived, and apparently my friend did not even have a license nor insurance, and apparently he was under the influence of drinking alcohol as well which was probably how this even happened. I did not contact my insurance since the cost of repair was worth thousands more than how much i bought the car for, so I just sent it to the scrap yard, it's been a little over a year and during that time he changed his address and phone to avoid me, can I sue him and win in small claims court?

Additional information

throughout the year he kept saying i needed a job, and after a year he changed address and phone number so i had no way to contact him, i then saw him randomly and asked him when will you be paying me back, and he said it's not my responsibility or problem and just ignored me, I plan to sue him beacuse I have suffered from this since losing my car delayed me from going to school for a year and all the money I lost.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert Laurens Driessen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can sue but it appears that this person may be judgment proof. Good luck to you.
    Robert Driessen

    Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated... more
  2. Michael Lynn Walker


    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues and their answers.

    Mike Walker

  3. Gary A Kester

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You can sue anyone, winning and collecting are often very different things.

    I am an Arizona attorney. AVVO does not pay us for our responses. Simply because I responded to your question... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,501 answers this week

2,785 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,501 answers this week

2,785 attorneys answering

Legal Dictionary

Don't speak legalese? We define thousands of terms in plain English.

Browse our legal dictionary