Skip to main content

Help me make a living will that covers all bases and makes clear what I want or don't want

Hamilton, OH |

My immediate family, husband, sons, have shown poor judgment in caring for me. I am still up and going but they have caused deep grief by making decisions on selfish motives

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your needs will be best met by working with an experienced local elder law attorney. The knowledgeable and caring attorneys that volunteer on this public forum can provide general information about the law and legal services, but this format is ill-suited to advising in specific cases.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.


Hospice of Ohio offers free medical power of attorney and living will forms. That can be nice if money is a problem, but attorneys are also very inexpensive for these kinds of documents.

Lawrence A Friedman

Lawrence A Friedman


It is impossible to make a living will that covers all bases and makes clear what you want or don't want based on an Avvo post. Far and away your best bet is to pay an experienced elder law attorney to counsel you on how best to implement your wishes.


This is a matter where you need the advice and knowledge of a seasoned elder law attorney. It is one thing to fill in the blanks on a form and quite another to have a professional who has the experience to ask the rights questions to identify the issues and offer solutions that work. It is all about giving instructions to maintain control and your dignity. The cost for such services is generally not great, especially when compared to the down side of not having it done right. Use the AVVO Find a Lawyer search tool to locate an elder law attorney near you or go to the website of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys at

Responses provided on Avvo are for general informational purposes only, based upon the limited information that is provided, and do not constitute legal advice. As such you should consult with your own attorney for specific advice. No attorney/client relationship exists with Kelly S. Davis unless set forth in a written engagement letter. The Wyoming State Bar does not certify any attorney as a specialist or expert. Anyone considering a lawyer should independently investigate the lawyer's credentials and ability, and not rely upon advertisements or self-proclaimed expertise.

James Gregory Las Cola

James Gregory Las Cola


Great answer!


Every adult should have a living will and a health care power of attorney. In Ohio you can find the standard forms for both documents on line or at your local probate court. Your living will involves only end of life decisions. Your health care power of attorney is much broader, as it relates to all health care decisions that you are not competent to make at the time that they need to be made. If you are not comfortable having a family member make these decisions for you then you should find a trusted friend who is capable of making decisions for your care and well-being.

This reply does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Please do not include any confidential information in your communications. I encourage you to visit my website or call me at 513-579-1500 or 513-357-4328. Thank you for reaching out to me. Steve

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer