Help me make a living will that covers all bases and makes clear what I want or don't want

Asked 3 months ago - Hamilton, OH

My immediate family, husband, sons, have shown poor judgment in caring for me. I am still up and going but they have caused deep grief by making decisions on selfish motives

1. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

4

Answered . This is a matter where you need the advice and knowledge of a seasoned elder law attorney. It is one thing to fill in the blanks on a form and quite another to have a professional who has the experience to ask the rights questions to identify the issues and offer solutions that work. It is all about giving instructions to maintain control and your dignity. The cost for such services is generally not great, especially when compared to the down side of not having it done right. Use the AVVO Find a Lawyer search tool to locate an elder law attorney near you or go to the website of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys at www.naela.org.

2. Thomas Richard Gilman

2

Answered . Hospice of Ohio offers free medical power of attorney and living will forms. That can be nice if money is a problem, but attorneys are also very inexpensive for these kinds of documents.

3. Paula Brown Sinclair

3

Answered . Your needs will be best met by working with an experienced local elder law attorney. The knowledgeable and caring attorneys that volunteer on this public forum can provide general information about the law and legal services, but this format is ill-suited to advising in specific cases.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Stephen Blair Hoffsis

Pro

1

Answered . Every adult should have a living will and a health care power of attorney. In Ohio you can find the standard forms for both documents on line or at your local probate court. Your living will involves only end of life decisions. Your health care power of attorney is much broader, as it relates to all health care decisions that you are not competent to make at the time that they need to be made. If you are not comfortable having a family member make these decisions for you then you should find a trusted friend who is capable of making decisions for your care and well-being.