Skip to main content

Help in getting out of a Contract with a client for a house move and raise in Bayville NJ

Bayonne, NJ |

I have an urgent matter involving a client I need to stop a contract with due to health issues on my part and also issues with my sub contractors. Is it possible to limit my damages due to falling ill and being physically unable to be on site to preform my work and supervise the job. The client gave me a $4500 Deposit in the end of June and have been sick since a few weeks after that. The job is scheduled to start on Nov 4 and My sub contractors are ready and willing to do the work but I feel I need to back out and let the client deal with my subs directly. The homeowner also pulled all the permits for the job herself. The total contract would have been $46000.00 any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Attorney Answers 3


Honesty is best policy to customer openly and ask them what theybwould like tomdo under the all likelihood they may ask you forma referral to another GC or perhaps they will ask if you could stay involved in a lesser capacity that excludes site visitations but still managing project and numbers, etc.

My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a licensed attorney in your State should be obtained. Please click "helpful" or "best answer" if my answer added any value or add a "comment" if you have more info for me to help you get a better answer.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

4 lawyers agree


I agree with the previous poster. You need to have a frank conversation with your client advising that your health condition will not permit you to complete this job. I suspect that they would rather have this conversation with you before the project starts. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER: Please be advised that this post is not intended to constitute legal advice and is for informational purposes only. This posting in no way creates an attorney client relationship. You should contact an attorney to protect your interests.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


The following needs to happen, you need to have a "heart to heart" conversation with your clients about what is taking place. As the previous attorney stated, "honesty is the best policy." Attempt to find a general contractor to replace you. In addition, once the replacement is working on the job site, you need to protect your interests, by obtaining releases from the other parties.

The information is for general information purposes only. Nothing from this comment should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information does not create and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship or a prospective attorney relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics