Help i need a license!

Kailua Kona, HI |

i got a dui 7 yrs ago and didn"t go to court this was in Kansas i now reside in hawaii and haven't been in any trouble, i cannot get a license what are my options? i have two small children and cannot travel back to kansas to take care of this

1. Illinois has a process for out of state residents to apply through the mail. Kansas may have something similar.

2. Contact an attorney in Kansas who specializes in DUI and licensing issues. They can often appear without you to resolve the hold on your license. California has a procedure that allows a release of a hold if you can prove that do not live there. Kansas may have something similar.

3. As I understand your question you were charged with DUI in KS seven years ago. You failed to show up for court in KS. You now live in HI and your state refuses to issue you a license because of the KS DUI charge. My answer applies to these facts.

HI and KS both belong to the National Driver Registry. The NDR is a database where suspensions are reported. Most states will not issue a license if you are suspended in another state - they check the NDR when an application is made. HI probably checked the NDR and found one or more suspensions from KS and so refused you a license. I say one or more suspensions because there may be a suspension for failing to appear in court and another one from the KS Motor Vehicle Department for either refusing a test (if you refused) or for blowing .08 or more (if you took a test). You also have the original DUI still pending and possibly charges for failing to appear in court.

This is a pretty complex situation. You will have to find out what suspensions are out there and clear them. You will also have to clear up the pending criminal charges. The only way that I know of to do this without leaving HI is to hire a KS attorney to handle the case. It may be that even then you must go back to KS for court.

DISCLAIMER- THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO AND DOES NOT CONSTITUTE LEGAL ADVICE AND DOES NOT ESTABLISH AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP. CONSULT QUALIFIED LEGAL COUNSEL IN YOUR CITY OR STATE FOR IMMEDIATE LEGAL ADVICE.

4. I don't practice in IL or HI. Hire an attorney to represent you in KS.

Edward J. Blum

DUI topics