Skip to main content


Nashville, TN |

I got a social security number but it's just for work and i want to apply for any school ..

is that make sense ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Your social security number, if valid, is valid for both work and school. If it's not valid, it's not valid for work nor school. In any case, a social security number is not an employment authorization document.

The above is intended only as general information, and does not constitute legal advice. You must speak with an attorney to discuss your individual case.



It's not viled sir,,only written it to work i had it almost two weeks


The same social security number can be used to apply for school. The social security number does not grant you any authorization to work or go to school. You would have such authorization, or not have authorization, based upon your particular immigration status or a valid employment authorization card issued to you by USCIS.

Disclaimer: The information here is for educational purposes only and should not be relied upon without first consulting with an experienced immigration law attorney. The information given may not apply to your individual situation. Immigration laws, regulation and procedure change frequently. This information should not be relied upon as legal advice without first consulting with an immigration lawyer and is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Please note that this site is open to the public and any information posted by readers can be viewed by government officials. Ari Sauer is licensed as an attormey by the States of TN, NY & NJ, but is able to represent clients throughout the US. Practice limited to US immigration law. Neither NY, NJ nor TN offer certification as an Immigration Specialist. This is an advertisement.



Thank you sir ,, i have a job now but the people tell me that i can't start any school thats way i post my Q to know more infermation,,, Thank you again


As correctly stated by previous attorneys, any Social Security number issued to one is valid for both work and employment purposes. It may have the language "not valid for employment without an Employment Authorization Document" yet it does not preclude you, if that is the case, from applying to school or taking studying courses.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I agree with the other posts that you should not have a different SSN for different purposes, but that your one SSN should be effective for all actions you intend to use it for. That being said, I would defer to the immigration attorneys and others here whose focus is beyond the scope of Social Security to provide more guidance in response to your question. In addition, I would also recommend that you consider posting your question in additional sections on AVVO for lawyers who focus on employment law and other related areas of practice can also answer your question, and would also recommend that both the title of your question and facts supporting your question include more information to ensure that more specific answers can be provided.

Thank you for seeking assistance through AVVO. Your desire to further your education is commendable, and I wish you the best.

Timothy M. Klob
Klob Law Firm

Provision of information in response to this question does not create an attorney-client relationship and the questioner is encouraged to seek and retain legal counsel in order to discuss their question(s) further and directly with legal counsel. Respondent is licensed to practice law in Georgia before all Georgia courts for non-Federal matters with a primary focus on personal injury and workers' compensation. Respondent is also authorized by the Social Security Administration to represent claimants nationwide in Social Security Disability claims, and is admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Northern Districts of Georgia and Texas, respectively, for federal matters including judicial review of Social Security matters. The questioner is advised that some responses on this site are provided by attorneys who are not licensed in the respective jurisdiction of the questioner, and any advice from attorneys on this site concerning state-specific areas such as workers' compensation by attorneys who are not licensed in the applicable and appropriate jurisdiction should be viewed as for general educational purposes and should generally be given lesser weight than responses by attorneys licensed in the governing jurisdiction. Response to this question further assumes that the questioner is not currently represented by counsel, and if this is not the case, then it is recommended that any further questions or concerns be directed to their current legal counsel.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer