Skip to main content

HELP! Where can I find an family law attorney that will help me either pro-bono or without having to put down a large retainer?!

Fort Worth, TX |

CPS has ordered me to seek legal help in getting a protective order and filing a motion for modification of custody. I have CPS heavily involved, police reports, and two children who are in therapy as a result of neglect and emotional distress caused by the other party. (There is a very serious offense against one of the children by the other party currently in the investigation process.) I need to find someone who isn't looking for a thousand or two down, who can take payments, or who would be willing to take my case pro-bono. We are a desperate family seeking justice, and a person who is willing to help us get that for the sake of my two younger children.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Legal Aid of North Texas provides free legal assistance in family and civil cases for those who qualify financially. Their funding is quite limited, so they have other criteria but it sounds like the facts of your case would be a fit if you qualify financially. If you don't qualify, contact the Tarrant County Bar Association referral service.


Contact the court and ask the court to appoint you a lawyer. Whenever there is a possibility of termination, the court has the authority to appoint counsel. If you are not named as a party in their suit, tell them they need to, so that you would qualify for a court appointed attorney.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney-client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Maria Tu, 2800 West Parker Road #110, Plano, Texas 75025 972-964-8366



I'm going to be filing a suit to modify orders. My 7 year old son alleged that his father has sexually assaulted him, to CPS, and I am unable to afford $1500-2k to hire an attorney. I signed a safety plan with CPS stating that I would seek legal counsel to modify orders. My son alleged that this has been going on for about 3 years. He made these directly to CPS, I didn't have a clue. My son has also been to 2 mental hospitals previously for suicide threats, and intensive outpatient. How would I even begin to get a court appointed attorney in this matter?

Maria Tsao Tu

Maria Tsao Tu


Go to the court and ask the judge whether you can apply for a court appointed lawyer. The court will probably have you fill out a financial disclosure. I'm surprised that the court didn't tell you, unless you were not named in the CPS petition. In any event, the only thing the court can tell you is "no".


Legal Aid of Northwest Texas should be able to assist you. The court may also be able to appoint a lawyer to represent you depending on your relationship to the children.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


If you need a protective order to escape a dangerous situation, you should contact the district our county attorneys office in your area. They are responsible for assisting victim's seeking protective orders and there is no charge for this service. If you are able to get a protective order through your district or county attorney's office, your divorce will be safer and probably less complicated.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer