Help: I am 7 months into a contested divorce and my lawyer won't answer my calls/texts- deadlines are due- & trial in 10 weeks

Las Vegas, NV |
Filed under: Divorce

What can I do as my lawyer is not responding - keeps rescheduling appointments. I asked if lawyer wants to continue my case and no reply? I have request for admissions given to me 3 weeks late and now don't have time to get it back.

I am also in Domestic Abuse counselling for emotional abuse/mental cruelty

Ex is doing things he is not supposed to, making my life hell & i cant get any answers from my lawyer?

I am legally disabled on disability. I can't afford another lawyer - are there any resources for low cost legal representation? Can I even change my lawyer when the trial is due in 10 weeks?

My lawyer has been paid and i just started having these problems with lack of communication, not replying to me, out of the blue so I don't know where to turn for help. Can you help me

Your questions were somewhat answered in your prior posting. You can change attorneys, but it is expensive as the new attorney has to get up to speed on what the prior attorney has done. There is likely a reason for your attorneys actions, which may have to do with you, have nothing to do with you (attorney is having his/her own personal crisis), or some combination thereof. Call and email your attorney and insist that an appointment be scheduled and kept, and that you will have no choice but to report to the State Bar if you do not get a response. Write down all your questions so you are ready for the appointment. If no appointment is scheduled, or if it is not kept, follow up with a complaint to the State Bar. If your attorney can no longer handle your case, he/she needs to seek a trial continuance and you will have no choice but to find a new lawyer.

Responses are for general information purposes only, and are based on the extremely limited facts given. A consultation with an attorney experienced in the area of law(s) indicated in the question is highly recommended. Information and advice given here should not be relied upon for any final action or decision, as the information is limited by its nature to the question asked and the fact(s) presented in that question. THIS RESPONSE DOES NOT CREATE AN ATTORNEY/CLIENT RELATIONSHIP, particularly considering that the names of the parties are unknown.

Other than the other learned counsel suggested, I should send written communication, and if call, taken down the name of the person who took messages. Make a diary with the name, dates and times in a regular way. If that does not work, go to the office directly and demand to see the attorney. Make sure to let the attorney know that he is violating many rules of Nevada professional responsibility by not being diligent, not being communicative, and not few others. Make sure if no good result comes, send a letter to Nevada Bar. Check their website at www.nvbar.org

Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation. However, more fact may be required by your local attorney. If you are in Las Vegas, you are welcome to send your questions regarding Chapter 7, or 13 to Attorney Malik Ahmad at Malik@lasvegaslawgroup.com or www.fastbankruptcynevada.com or by calling (702) 270-9100. In many cases, we do not charge initial consultation fee.

If you are dissatisfied with current legal representation, you can seek remedy as noted above. For low cost or pro bono legal assistance for the upcoming trial, please contact Legal Aid of Southern Nevada 702-386-1070 and/or Nevada Legal services 702-386-0404 or the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service, who may be able to assist in securing another attorney.

Nothing in this response to your posting on AVVO is intended or should be considered as legal advice to your specific situation. Our posting is intended to provide general information of interest to the public. Facts relevant to your situation and not disclosed in your posting may affect your specific legal rights and remedies.