Help: I am 7 months into a contested divorce and my lawyer won't answer my calls/texts- deadlines are due- & trial in 10 weeks

Asked almost 2 years ago - Las Vegas, NV

What can I do as my lawyer is not responding - keeps rescheduling appointments. I asked if lawyer wants to continue my case and no reply? I have request for admissions given to me 3 weeks late and now don't have time to get it back.

I am also in Domestic Abuse counselling for emotional abuse/mental cruelty

Ex is doing things he is not supposed to, making my life hell & i cant get any answers from my lawyer?

I am legally disabled on disability. I can't afford another lawyer - are there any resources for low cost legal representation? Can I even change my lawyer when the trial is due in 10 weeks?

My lawyer has been paid and i just started having these problems with lack of communication, not replying to me, out of the blue so I don't know where to turn for help. Can you help me

1. Jill K. Whitbeck

2

1

Answered . Your questions were somewhat answered in your prior posting. You can change attorneys, but it is expensive as the new attorney has to get up to speed on what the prior attorney has done. There is likely a reason for your attorneys actions, which may have to do with you, have nothing to do with you (attorney is having his/her own personal crisis), or some combination thereof. Call and email your attorney and insist that an appointment be scheduled and kept, and that you will have no choice but to report to the State Bar if you do not get a response. Write down all your questions so you are ready for the appointment. If no appointment is scheduled, or if it is not kept, follow up with a complaint to the State Bar. If your attorney can no longer handle your case, he/she needs to seek a trial continuance and you will have no choice but to find a new lawyer.

2. Malik W. Ahmad

2

1

Answered . Other than the other learned counsel suggested, I should send written communication, and if call, taken down the name of the person who took messages. Make a diary with the name, dates and times in a regular way. If that does not work, go to the office directly and demand to see the attorney. Make sure to let the attorney know that he is violating many rules of Nevada professional responsibility by not being diligent, not being communicative, and not few others. Make sure if no good result comes, send a letter to Nevada Bar. Check their website at www.nvbar.org

3. Husna F. Alikhan

1

1

Answered . If you are dissatisfied with current legal representation, you can seek remedy as noted above. For low cost or pro bono legal assistance for the upcoming trial, please contact Legal Aid of Southern Nevada 702-386-1070 and/or Nevada Legal services 702-386-0404 or the State Bar Lawyer Referral Service, who may be able to assist in securing another attorney.